Monday, March 3, 2008

By-election campaign: JWR2 accepts rejects (reluctantly)

Joseph Wesley Richards II has accepted Austin Menyasz' help, but sources say he is worried about being associated as "Austin's candidate". He has already taken some advice from Menyasz, most notably an idea that was expressed here on this blog, and echoed by Menyasz, to purchase a domain name.

Menyasz would have also recommended JWR2 to drop the "New Day" from the "New Day, New Way" slogan.

UPDATE, 00h14: JWR2 would have asked Menyasz not to talk to him for the rest of the campaign, as he really is scared of the backlash. That being said, he has been taking Menyasz' advice and he might revise his position.

UPDATE, 00h28: Austin Menyasz sent this statement:
I felt that in order to be a responsible member of the process I felt that I should get to know the candidates. However, this meeting was just an opportunity for me to get to become more familiar with a very interesting platform and I will not be playing an active role in this election other than voting (which I urge all students reading this to do, and talk to their friends about). We spoke briefly about the campaign, but this is the extent of our interactions. Any advice I gave him was out of good will and in the hopes of a campaign that will engage students and build interest in the process as I recognize that pulling out the vote could be difficult.

Although I am flattered by the implications, but I have no intention of getting involved. Had I wanted to be involved, I should think that I would have submitted my signed nomination form! I certainly wish ALL candidates the best of luck, and I am sure that the best candidate will win.

---

Following the decision of the Elections Office, JWR2 will have a maximum of 155$ reimbursed. All candidates get 225$ reimbursed at the end of the campaign (if necessary). Nothing would prevent JWR2 to spend 225$, but he would have to use 70$ of his own money. Sources tell me he is not willing to do that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know about this backlash. Having Austin on his campaign would have given him the push he needs to actually stand some sort of a chance to go head to head with Haldenby.

dislikes Austin all you want but that kid can win elections. If you don't beleive it, then justify how Someone with a bad record on the exec as VP Finance manage to beat out one of the most dedicated volunteer (who had the current president of the SFUO campaigning for her)

Anonymous said...

I have to totally agree with that. Its really disappointing in a way, and now I know Austin's detractors are going to be all over it... but like said above, we all may hate Austin, but he knows how to win campaigns in really stacked situations...

Well, best of luck JWR2, but you may just have passed on your shot! He not only beat the most dedicated volunteer, who re-wrote the new PIDSSA constitution, but also against the outgoing PSSA President and incumbent SFUO President...

This is a confusing move by JWR2, and I imagine that Austin's quote that just appeared is the end of the interest and race...

Anonymous said...

I have to go with the two anons above.

Congratulations Dean Haldenby. You should buy your opponents some drinks. Don't forget the Elections Office.

"Renaud, passes it to JWR, passes it to Sylvia Havard-Lewis she shoots, HALDENBY REBOUND... HALDENBY SCORES."

Collective effort all around.

Anonymous said...

What happened?! One minute the race is on, the next minute the race is off. This is really disappointing

Well, looks like life got easier for Dean.

Anonymous said...

JWR2 decided to get in the race to make sure that Austin would not pass, so obviously he could not accept his help. I do recognize Austin's great talents as a campaigner, but I think Dean has a great platform, an awesome team and the advantage in the race, look at him go!

Anonymous said...

Are candidates allowed to finance their campaign with their own money? This seems a bit ridiculous...wouldn't it give an unfair advantage to those students lucky enough to have a large bank account?